In light of the vision for education articulated by Sustainable Development Goal 4, the global challenges for education and the commitment made by Ministers of Education at the 19th Conference of Commonwealth Education Ministers (19CCEM), and drawing both on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (United Nations 2015) and the Incheon Declaration and Framework for Action (UNESCO 2015), the Commonwealth Education Policy Framework (CEPF) aims to provide member countries with a comprehensive approach to:
- identify key policy gaps and challenges;
- assist renewal and development of national education policies and legislation that enables the delivery of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in line with Commonwealth needs, priorities and values;
- ensure delivery on the critical aspects of Goal 4 of the SDGs;
- enable policy development that addresses simultaneously the challenges of equity and quality in a sustainable way and enhances the relevance of education across all SDGs;
- provide a mechanism for member countries to compare, review and formulate their respective national education policies; and
- support the benchmarking of policy implementation with similar member countries and the monitoring of national progress on implementation.